Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer Happenings

...and just like that, summer's over. I don't know if I'm ready to move on yet - I feel like I haven't given myself a proper summer vacation since I've been working so much. Can't complain though when my daily schedule consists of consulting with clients at companies like Bain, Ameriprise, eBay and GM just to name a few, and also helping professors from across the globe at campuses such as the University of Adelaide (Australia), the Nanyang Technological University (Hong Kong), Harvard, and Berkeley. It is a breath of fresh air compared to a regular college job.

Here's some summer highlights -

July:

The Timpanogos Trip - Part 2

Earlier we had tried hiking Timp, but there was still too much snow. This time though, we were successful! I really like Timp. On a regular mountain, you get to the top, enjoy the view and then you just come back down. But on Timp, you get to the top, you enjoy the view... and then you slide down a glacier! Seriously that was more fun than any ride I've ever been on. I wish I could have done it more than once, but that would have meant another hour hiking back to the top.

resting at the top
















the mighty glacier - watch out for rocks!















August:

More of the same stuff. The only August pictures I have are from a
bonfire in which three of us at Qualtrics happened to wear our company t-shirts.



















I've been struggling to make time to get my business going. I have registered my business name with the state of Utah, but that's about as far as I've gotten. We also moved this last week. I felt bad for our new roomates when, after being there just one night we had a spontaneous pizza dinner with probably about 15 people there. I love the new complex so far. Our apartment feels more like a home than a dorm. We have a downstairs with the kitchen and living room, and then bedrooms upstairs. Unlike Glenwood, there are no holes in the wall or beds supported on cinder blocks, and the manager is the nicest person you will ever meet. Still though, I feel like my heart's back at the Glenwood. My roomates and I have been back there nearly every night this week. I'm sure we'll grow to love the new ward though.

So with all that said, here's my personal development goals for the new semester:

1. Communication - be a more interesting person to talk to
2. Organization - keep my room clean and my books and notes organized (I'm really bad at this)
3. Time management - limit my 'screen time' at the computer to only necessary tasks

Ask me how I'm doing next time we talk!

No comments: